I've got a LinkSys WRT54G wireless router. It's a little older and been great but lately I've been getting disconnected every few hours and had to reset the router. Annoying at best, then I ran a speed test and was sad to see my download speeds stank relative to sitting at my desk and wired right into the router.
I did some digging and after a little bit of work, my wireless speeds equal my wired speeds. Here's how I did it:
WRT54G Linksys 2.4 Ghz
- Upgraded firmware to 188.8.131.52 from the WRT54G Cisco product page. Make sure you check your hardware model number on the bottom of the router first.
- Prevented wireless channel switching (selected channel 11 as I was getting knocked offline by another router).
- Changed from wireless network mode to G-only from Mixed.
Next login to the setup page of the Router:
- Under Wireless tab change the Wireless channel to 11
Advanced wireless settings:
- Change the Beacon Interval from 75-100 (my optimal interval was 100)
- Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304 through 2375 (my optimal was 2375)
- Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 through 2375 (my optimal was 2375)
- Change "Basic Rate" from Default to All.
- Click on Save Settings.
Wireless speeds now equal wired speeds in 95% of my home.