The Start-Up Drive Ep 3 : Agile and Lean does not mean we won't document plans.
In today's daily drive I've been thinking about the best way to document your plans. I'm not talking about writing a 1000 page document, Gantt charts, deliverables and projections. I'm talking about a monthly or quarterly overview of key objectives. Doing this will achieve a few goals for an up and coming company that has limited resources:
- Keep focus on your goals over that time period.
- Allow for non-tech types to understand what you're doing.
- Build up a library of documentation for potential investors.
- Create a roadmap for business goal and KPI (Key Performance Indicator) definition and refinement.
- Help to focus your efforts and build up definable metrics that can be used to one day forecast revenues and plans.
- Build a "machine" and process for actually delivering on high level things like content strategy, offers, communication schedules (email, social media), and pricing offers.
I start with either a Visio or Omnigraffle document and every 30 days or so iterate a new set of two pages. It's close to a mind map but leans more towards a process flow and goal illustration.
The nice thing about this is it keeps things understandable, it's a quick read, it doesn't take days to put together and lastly (and probably most importantly) it helps to document your journey in the chaos and speed of growing business.