My name is Dan Nedelko, founder of Honeypot Marketing, Honeypot Labs, Honeypot Studios, Genuine Media, The Knows Network, Marketer Knows, Mama Knows and Jahcohmi.com.
I’ve been designing and monetizing businesses online for over 20 years. I’ve also been in the iGaming industry for 17 years.
I’ve worked with some of the biggest online gaming businesses in the world. I’ve also worked with and been partnered with some incredible start-ups.
I don’t have the typical entrepreneur’s story about hustling from the time I was 6 years old, setting up lemonade stands or mowing people’s lawns and building a vast empire by the time I was in my teens.
I was a quiet, slightly nerdy kid who was into computers (of the VIC 20 and Commodore 64 variety), Dungeons & Dragons, Fantasy and Science Fiction.
One thing I did learn through numerous financial family hardships growing up: the only way I would have some amount of control in my life would come from taking risks, working hard and never giving up.
Working for someone else would never really cut it for me. Big corporate culture isn’t a great fit for my honest and straightforward personality.
It was at that moment in my late teens that I knew I was going to start businesses for the rest of my life. For better or for worse, this was my path.
Since that time I’ve have entrepreneurship in my blood, I bought a Japan Camera Centre franchise at 20 years old.
The Japan Camera location was in the Downtown Kitchener core in the dark days of the 1990s. With my business partner we managed to 10x the sales of the business.
Being naive and under-confident I left the accounting and bookkeeping to my partner. Bad mistake, great learning experience. Long story short, the books weren’t well taken care of, money went missing prior to me taking the business over. It was a mess.
It’s a longer story, that ended with me declaring bankruptcy at 23 years old.
To this day it was on of the best experiences of my life (on hindsight).
Highlights and Milestones
- In January 2020 I took the step of partnering with Frank Cianciulli and The Wish Group companies. Partnerships are important and great way to build something bigger, stronger and better than ever.
- You can connect with Frank Cianciulli on Instagram or hit him up on Twitter.
- Honeypot Marketing expanded on July 1st, 2019 taking over the entire building at 194 King Street South in Waterloo. From humble beginnings 9 years ago in this location, it’s very satisfying to not only still be in business but to have such an amazing team to work with every day.
- 2019 will see the launch of Marketer Knows a community for Marketers, Business Owners, Agencies and Freelancers. What’s different about Marketer Knows from other course-ware and learning website? One word: Community.
- In 2018 Honeypot Marketing saw another record setting year, exceeding $2M in sales, and ever expanding client list and a fantastic team of 20 employees.
- In June of 2018 launched a series of Joint Venture projects with Frank Cianciulli founder of the Wish Group of Companies.
- In October 2015 Honeypot Marketing saw a 500%+ increase in revenue and profitability. I’m very proud of the Honeypot family. We’ve all worked together and it’s very satisfying to see our hard work paying off.
- Worked very closely with the team at WorldGaming to effectively update the business in order to adapt to the fast paced changes in the video game and eSports industry. This was an exciting project spanning marketing, software development, strategic planning, and business development.
- In September 2015 Cineplex Inc. acquired WorldGaming, marking the beginning of an exciting time in the world of Canadian eSports and casual competitive video gaming.
- In February 2015 Honeypot Marketing became a Premier Google Partner, a significant accomplishment, we continue to work closely with our Google pals.
- Worked with the incredibly talented Ryan Guay of Street Pharmacy including marketing and helping design the ownership of his digital business.
- Designed the first version of http://swearnet.com with The Trailer Park Boys: Mike Smith, JP Tremblay and Robb Wells.
- Executed The Trailer Park Boys live stream launch of http://swearnet.com at the CBC Halifax Studios.
- Spoke in Orlando at the VRMA (Vacation Rental Managers Association) conference about Vacation Home Rentals and Demeure.
- Launched Street Pharmacy’s Founding Fan. If you’re looking for some background, you can read my open letter to artists. It went live on May 23rd and ran through July 7th, 2013.
- Developed and continue to develop local search and marketing strategies for small brick & mortar businesses.
- Founding Fan was covered in the Welland Times and The Waterloo Region Record.
- Panel speaker at NXNE in Toronto entitled: “To Stream or not to Stream” – June 15, 2012.
I try my best to keep the list updated for new and notable things I’m up to these days.
Another great way to get or keep in touch with me is on LinkedIn.
Primarily, I’m the Founder and CEO of Honeypot Marketing. We are a marketing firm with offices in Waterloo & Costa Rica. Feel free to have a look at some of our business and ROI driven marketing programs.
Charitable Causes – The Dusan Nedelko Foundation
Tragically, I lost my best friend and my brother, Dušan Nedelko on February 18, 2010 in a motor vehicle accident in Northern Ontario. Through the grief and loss we have founded the Dušan Nedelko Foundation whose goal is to “Enable Youth Through Outdoor Activity”.
As co-founder alongside Hanna Trafford, Kara Mitchell and Peter Bolitsky I act as chairman of the FounDušan. I am involved in all aspects of administration, marketing, fund raising, events and dispersing of funds to outdoor educators, youth programs and other qualifying groups in the Province of Ontario.
It’s our goal to ensure a lasting legacy for my brother’s passion of the outdoors and love of mentoring youth through outdoor activity.
I’ve included a portion of my professional timeline below, contact me if you have questions or comments.
Professional Profile & Experience
Accomplished entrepreneur, pragmatic technologist and internet marketer with a proven ability to implement multifaceted technology solutions that support business, technical and financial objectives.
Recognized as an expert in technology integration with a proven background in both engineering, sales and management.
Respected leader, able to build high motivated technical teams focused on delivering robust and stable solutions which exceed revenue goals.
Constantly up-to-date with changes in the industry through professional affiliations and continuing professional development.
Areas of Expertise
- Strategic and Tactical Planning
- New Product Development
- Management Reporting Task and Details Analysis
- Technical Requirements Planning
- Management Team Leadership
- Heterogeneous Software System Design
- Functional Requirements Definition
- Technical Requirements Definition
- Project Delivery Requirements, Timelines and Budgeting
Bachelor of Science
Computer Science and Mathematics
Wilfrid Laurier University
Beyond formal education I constantly exercise self-learning both professionally and personally.
- Founded Honeypot Marketing and built it from a part time business to a successful Digital Marketing Agency.
- We specialize in the following areas: Marketing Strategy, PR, Lead Generation, Marketing Communications, Conversion Rate Optimization, Social Media Marketing, Search Engine Optimization, Video Marketing, Email Marketing.
- Offering Business and Team development consultation including In House training and employee development.
CLTB Media a.k.a BetUS.com
1286 Homer Street, Suite 300
Contract Director Internet Marketing
December 2005-July 2008
- Designed/developed a strategic Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing, & Viral Marketing plan which was successfully executed
- Attained 50+ #1 US Google rankings for Sports and Horse Racing related terms
- Increased search traffic to betus.com from 3% to 25% of all web traffic which translated into a 20% company wide profit lift
- Implemented Omniture SiteCatalyst and Clicktracks web analytics to track definable metrics across the entire company
- Built an internet marketing team whose responsibilities included viral marketing, SEO, SEM, Podcasting, Site optimization, Conversion Optimization and Copywriting
- Worked with the design and product teams to execute a complete redesign of www.betus.com
- Successfully implemented innovative sports betting podcasting and social networking programs which have become an integral part of the ongoing betus.com marketing strategy
Riptown Media a.k.a Bodog.com
1380 Burrard Street
Contract VP Internet Marketing
March 2002-December 2005
- Designed/developed a strategic Search Engine Optimization and conversion driven Marketing plan
- Attained 110+ #1 Google rankings for Sports Betting related terms in US Google Search.
- Increased search traffic to bodog.com from 3% to 25% of all web traffic
- Implemented Omniture SiteCatalyst web analytics to track definable metrics across the entire company
- Averaged 100 joined and depositing users per day
- Built a team of 7 internet marketers including SEO’s, Project managers, Copywriters which continue to be an integral part of Bodog.com’s marketing team to this day
- Worked with the design and product teams to execute a complete redesign of www.bodog.com
- Worked closely with product channel units to assign business metrics to online campaigns, ensuring performance and optimization
101 Frederick Street, Suite 810
Director of Technology and Technical Sales
September 2001-March 2003
- Designed/developed rapid data acquisition applications targeted at MIPS, StrongARM SA1110 and XScale processor boards (Windows CE and Palm)
- Determined functional specifications from both sales/marketing department and client
- Coordinated development deadlines, status updates and complete technical documentation
- Developed Sales Kits u0026amp; Sales Presentations
- Determined business cases for new product development including product viability, pricing and functionality
- Created end user documentation, developer documentation and training materials (both live and remote multimedia versions)
- Technical sales, support, documentation and end client needs analysis and proposals
Urbana Online Solutions
10 Water Street, Unit 7
Technical Consultant (Contract Position)
May 2001-September 2001
- Brought in to assess problematic development structures
- Assessed entire technology infrastructure
- Assessed database scalability including ability replicate live transactions, billings, etc.
- Worked closely with Executive Management to build development, sales, marketing and executive morale and efficiency
- Worked closely with Chief Technology Officer to implement and guided future projects as defined by Executive Management
110 Phillip Street, Unit 15
Database Specialist (Contract Position)
September 2000-May 2001
- Developed a scalable database structure utilizing Oracle 9i on a Linux platform
- Implemented infrastructure for web based B2B move management system
- Implemented a Perl User Interface
- Worked closely with management and sales to define requirements, logistics and implementation of the system
- Worked closely with technical staff to set tasks, timelines and deliverables
Wilfrid Laurier University
Quantum Physics Research Group
February 2000-April 2002
- Software team member developing laser simulation (Quantum Well and VCSEL) software targeted for UNIX and Windows based systems
- C++/FORTRAN cross language integration
- Designed numerous unique GUI features, adding functionality and increasing usability of the software packages
- Designed libraries for use in generic scientific software, GUI based and computational reusable objects (linux, UNIX, Windows)
- Implemented numerous services in a heterogenous network environment (file sharing, security, code repositories)
Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Physics and Computing
Teaching Assistant “CP225 – An Introduction to Scientific Computation”
Cross Listed Physics and Computer Science Senior Level Course
September 2000-December 2001
- Assisted in design of assignment and midterm examinations
- Communicated with large groups of students (44 in 2000, 59 in 2001) on a regular basis, including conflict resolution and tutoring
- Graded, commented, and resolved issues with all assignments and midterm examinations
- Recorded, tracked and resolved all marking issues throughout school year
- Conducted tutorial sessions regarding scientific methods, C, C++, MATLAB, and UNIX
Silvano Colour Laboratories
Software Developer/Network Administrator
February 1997-September 1999
- Member of research team developing Direct-to-Paper CRT Printers (software testing and development)
- Junior developer maintaining and upgrading an IBM AS/400 inventory, accounting and work flowsystem
- Network administration incorporating UNIX, Apple, and Windows based systems
- Electronic imaging technician, developed numerous techniques to increase production, automate process and increase efficiency
Japan Camera Center
September 1993 -June 1996
- In charge of daily operations and customer relations
- Invoicing, receivables, payables and daily bookkeeping
- Staffing and employee organization
- Ordering, inventory and customer relations
- Member of Easter Seals “PowerPlay” street hockey tournament organizing committee
- Member of Oktoberfest Marketing Co-Ordination committee
- Recipient of the Science and Technology Endowment Program (STEP) Research Award (Nov.2000)
- Involved in numerous areas of computer science research, including Beowulf Clustering (Parallel Systems Design), Visualization and Scientific Computing and GUI Development (Ongoing)
- Member of numerous open source projects. Including (but not exclusive to) MESA 3D, GNOMEDesktop, Crypto++ , and the Mozilla Browser project. Tasks undertaken include beta-testing, debugging, and documentation (Ongoing)
- Photography and Imaging – Traditional Film – manipulating light and film, understanding the beauty of physics
- Canoeing, Kayaking, Rock Climbing – enjoying the power and beauty of nature, learning to work within her bounds
- Trailriding and Mountain Biking – challenging myself, learning to be scared and extend myself
- Artificial Intelligence – learning how people and machines can learn
- Humane Society, Kitchener branch volunteer – giving to animals who are innocent
- Mathematics Council Member, Wilfrid Laurier University, (2000-2002)
- Science Council Representative, Wilfrid Laurier University (2000-2002)